Flemington Dentist | Preventing Problems Before They Start
Your dental health is vital to the well-being of your body. Routine brushing and flossing at home are necessary to keep a beautiful smile looking its best. But, visiting your dental hygienist for regular dental exams and teeth cleanings are essential. The American Dental Association highly recommends visiting your dentist every six months to ensure your teeth stay healthy and your smile stays bright.
What Should I Expect During a Dental Exam?
During your exam, Dr. DeLorenzo, your Flemington dentist, thoroughly examines your teeth and gums for signs of tooth decay, periodontal disease, and other problems. He may also take X-rays to see what is happening beyond your gum line. These X-rays help discover dental issues that are not visible to the naked eye.
Check-ups every six months can point to many other issues, including:
- – Oral cancer – Dentists initially diagnose most cancers of the mouth or throat during routine check-ups. The earlier cancer is detected, the better the survival rate.
- – Gum disease – If there are deep spaces between your gums and teeth, this can indicate gum disease, one of the leading causes of tooth loss.
- – Medical conditions – Dr. DeLorenzo, your Flemington dentist, will check for bad breath (halitosis), which can be caused by various issues, like an oral yeast infection, lung problems, or diabetes. To learn more, click here.
What Should I Expect During a Professional Cleaning?
Your dental hygienist begins your teeth cleaning by examining the surface of your teeth to determine if you have any cavities and verifies the quality of existing fillings. You will then have a periodontal exam to ensure your gums adhere tightly around your teeth and no gum disease or bone loss is present.
Next, your teeth are carefully cleaned with special tools to remove tartar buildup. Then you get an excellent flossing job, and polishing for a sparkly smile, finished with a fluoride rinse.
Cleanings aren’t painful, but let your hygienist know if you have any anxiety about your dental exam. They can offer several options to ensure you feel at ease and are entirely comfortable.
Suppose tooth decay or gum disease are found. In that case, your hygienist and dentist will talk to you about oral hygiene tips and tricks and help you improve your at-home brushing or flossing habits.
By seeing your dental hygienist every six months for exams and cleanings, you can:
- – Prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath
- – Save money by avoiding costly and extensive dental procedures
- – Keep your teeth white by reducing staining from food and drinks
- – Shorten the time spent in your dentist’s office
- – Have a smile that will last a lifetime
What are the Benefits of Dental Cleanings?
Professional teeth cleaning eliminates bacteria buildup, plaque, and tartar, which can develop even if you brush and floss regularly. Special dental tools are used to remove the buildup gently. If plaque hardens into tartar, it can only be removed by a dental professional.
Your dental cleaning will also include flossing and polishing to eliminate old stains and leave your mouth feeling ultra-fresh.
Suppose there is a buildup of plaque beneath the gum line. In that case one of our dental hygienists can fix the problem with a scaling procedure – a specialized form of dental cleaning routinely used in cases of gum disease.
Studies have shown the links between oral health and overall well-being. Dental cleanings can help lessen the risk of cancer, lung infections, heart disease and stroke, and diabetes.
How Can I Improve my Dental Health?
You can get the most from dental exams and professional teeth cleaning by maintaining an excellent at-home oral care routine. The harmful bacteria that attack your teeth and gums are quite persistent and can rapidly develop. So always remember to:
- – Brush your teeth twice a day
- – Floss daily
- – Use a mouthwash
- – Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- – Avoid tobacco
- – Visit your dentist & dental hygienist every six months!
Dr. DeLorenzo and the team at DeLorenzo Dentistry are happy to serve you. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions about family dental care exams and teeth cleanings. Or, if you want more information on other dental services we provide, like cosmetic dentistry, teeth whitening, or even dental implant restoration, call us at our Flemington dental office.
We look forward to meeting you and helping you build the healthiest smile for years to come.